Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A very rich, dense cheesecake. From Gourmet magazine, April 2008.
Make and share this Italian-Style Chocolate Hazelnut Cheesecake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup reduced-fat whole wheat cracker, finely crushed (such as McVitie's brand or Carr's whole wheat crackers)
- 1 ounce fine-quality bittersweet chocolate, grated (no more than 60% cacao if marked)
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 lb fine-quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped (no more than 60% cacao if marked)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 18 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup superfine sugar
- 1 cup hazelnuts, toasted loose skins rubbed off in a kitchen towel while still warm, and nuts chopped (4 1/2 ounces)
- Combine all ingredients, then press onto bottom of springform pan.
- Preheat oven to 325°F with rack in middle.
- Melt chocolate with butter, then remove from heat and whisk in cream cheese until smooth. Whisk in sour cream and vanilla.
- Whisk together eggs and sugar in a large bowl until mixture has a mousse-like consistency, then stir in chocolate mixture and nuts.
- Pour filling into crust and bake 1 1/2 hours. (Top will be slightly cracked.)
- Cool to room temperature in pan on a rack, about 1 hour, then chill at least 1 hour. (Cake will sink slightly.).