1/1 Photo of Italian Spaghetti Sauce
4 hrs 30 mins
This recipe was taught to me over 40 years ago by an old Italian man straight from Italy, who had taught it to my mother in law before me.It was an art he enjoyed, and took all day long creating.Sometimes a piece of Chicken, or a pork chop was added, but our favorite is the kielbasa sausage.The sauce was cooked awhile, then stirred and sampled. More spices were added as deemed necessary. The meatballs were prepared using a little sauce as one of the ingredients. They were cooked, then added to the sauce for awhile, and ocassionaly, one was removed and sampled by everyone. The wine was added to the sauce, and once the sauce, and the meatballs met everyones approval the spaghetti was prepared.It was served with a salad and fresh bread, and of course parmasean cheese was passed around. Hints: If you are not familiar with herbs, and their amounts, this will be a difficult recipe, because the amounts given are guess work. If you taste frequently, you will find you can adjust them to your taste. If you like a sweet sauce, add a small amount of sugar, and use Merlot Wine, as it is sweeter. If you wish to skip the meatballs, simply fry the burger and onion til done, and put it in the sauce towards the end of your cooking time. You must keep checking the sauce, as it will cook down, and as it begins to thicken, additional water will be necessary. Do not cut cooking time as it must cook 4 hours, or it will have an acid taste. The seasonings will correct this if you adjust them as you go.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste (Contadina )
- 9 cups water
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced, from a jar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion, dry minced
- 1 lb kielbasa, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup wine
- 1 (8 ounce) can mixed mushrooms
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (the kind in the green can, fresh doesn' t work well)
- 1 (16 ounce) package spaghetti
- 1In a larg pot mix tomato paste,water, seasonings together. Place on stove and simmer over med.
- 2Simmer over med-high heat til it comes to a slight boil. Turn the heat to low and keep it at a very gentle simmer.
- 3Cook and stir frequently. taste to see if you like the spice combination, adding more as necessary.If sauce thickens too much, add a little extra water.
- 4Cook 2 hours, and add kielbasa, and mushrooms to the sauce. Cook another 30 minutes.
- 5Prepare meatballs:.
- 6Mix together the onion, egg, ground beef, salt, pepper, seasoning, breadcrumbs,parmesan,and sauce. Shape into golf ball.
- 7size balls, and brown on all sides. When done drop into the sauce.
- 8Prepare spaghetti according to package directions, and it cooks, add wine , and parmesan cheese to sauce and stir gently to mix.cook just a few minutes longer to allow sauce to flavor meatballs.
- 9When spaghetti is done, remove meatballs, and toss it with the sauce and serve with additional parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Spaghetti Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (568 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 658.1
- Calories from Fat 269
- Total Fat 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 108.0 mg
- Sodium 1996.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 32.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: