Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
An Italian spin on the same old stuffing. Can be used as a main course. From Everyday with Rachael Ray, November 2007.
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 2 cubanelle peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 hot pickled cherry peppers, finely chopped (plus a splash of their juice)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 loaf Italian bread, split lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 cup basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and scatter the tomatoes on top. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender, 15 minutes.
- While they cook, in a medium skillet add 1 tablespoon oil, the hot and sweet sausages, and enough water to fill the pan by 1/4 inch. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the liquid evaporates, 10 to 12 minutes. Cook until the casings brown, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add the cubanelle and red bell peppers, onion, salt and pepper, and cook until just tender, 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in the pickled peppers and their juice.
- Remove the sausages from the skillet and cut into chunks. Add to the peppers and onions. Pour the white wine into the sausage skillet and, using a wooden spoon, scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Pour into the pepper-onion mixture.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in the sausage skillet over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken broth and cook until reduced, about 2 minutes. Add the reserved tomatoes and mash them into the liquid; reserve the baking sheet, discarding the foil. Cover the tomato gravy to keep warm.
- In a microwaveable bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon oil, and the garlic. Microwave for 20 seconds.
- Brush this garlic butter over the bread, then sprinkle the cheese and parsley on top. Cut the bread into large cubes. Arrange bread cubes on the reserved baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes.
- Combine the garlic bread cubes with the sausage, pepper, and onion mixture, spoon into shallow bowls, and top with the tomato gravy and the basil.