Recipe by Ceezie
I usually have most of this on hand and with OMAC always have spaghetti sauce to use - other then just for spaghetti Recipe Source: Trisha Kruse
Top Review by SkyGlitter
I made this exactly as directed and it was way too wet and eggy for me. It did have good flavor though so I will try it again with less eggs and less milk - I'm thinking 5 eggs and 2 cups of milk would work better for me.
- 10 slices day-old bread
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- 8 ounces shredded monterey jack cheese
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- pepper, to taste
- 2 cups prepared spaghetti sauce, warmed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F; grease a 13-by-9-inch pan.
- Trim crusts from bread and cube.
- Crumble sausage into a large skillet; sauté with onion, mushrooms and pepper. Place half the bread cubes in prepared pan, top with half the sausage mixture and half the cheese; repeat layers.
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs, milk, Italian seasoning, garlic and salt; pour over the filled casserole. Let stand 15 minutes so bread can soak up egg mixture.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes, cut into squares and serve drizzled with warm spaghetti sauce.