Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 4 lbs sweet Italian sausage links (16 links) or 4 lbs hot Italian sausage links (16 links)
- 4 red bell peppers, stemmed,seeded and sliced into 1/4" strips
- 4 green bell peppers, stemmed,seeded and sliced into 1/4" strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 large sweet onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- ground black pepper
- 16 hoagie rolls, sliced lengthwise,toasted,if desired
- Grill sausages over hot coals, turning occasionally, until done, about 10 minutes total.
- Remove from grill and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, sauté peppers in the olive oil until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and garlic, season with salt and pepper and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until vegetables are lightly browned, 10-15 minutes.
- Pepper mixture can be made ahead; reheat to serve or serve at room temperature.
- Place sausage links in hero rolls, generously add sautéed pepper mixture to each sandwich.
Yum! This was a really good sandwich. I used hot Italian sausage and loved the onions and peppers on it. Thanks for sharing RecipeNut. Made for Cookbook Tag.
We really loved this bit of "fun in the sun" sausage & pepper hero. In Maryland, we have *Pollack Johnnies* that is so similar to this, toting a stall in Lexington Market. Not able to get there very much anymore, I was excited to find this recipe and it is really terrific. I followed this exactly, except only using all green peppers instead of the red/green as this is what I had in the summer garden. I had some fresh Italian hot sausage links, poked a couple of holes in the casing and browned away, (after first boiling it for 10 minutes) with the vegetables. A great meal, as previous reviewers have said. Thank you! June 2009
This was a great meal.I made it for 2; we really enjoyed the combination. I only used a wee bit of olive oil.I made this for Healthy Choices. Thank you for posting. Rita