Recipe by KateL
Do you know how challenging it is to bake bread for heart patients who must have Very Low Sodium in their diet? The lack of salt means this loaf won't last more than 1 day. This can be used as dinner bread, in sandwiches, for French toast, or turkey stuffing. From Donald Gazzaniga's "The No-Salt, Lowest-Sodium Cookbook". Personally, I moderate my diet to have overall Low Sodium to help stave off a serious heart condition that might require a Very Low Sodium diet. I wasn't keen on this bread on its own, but I would use this bread for Turkey Stuffing With Very Low Sodium #318675 to serve a healthy stuffing on holidays.
- 3⁄4 cup water, plus
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 cups unbleached flour, white flour
- 3⁄4 cup sourdough starter
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Add all the ingredients to your bread machine pan as per your manufacturer's recommendations. Set the machine to Basic White cycle or its equivalent. Or, if you wish, combine the ingredients in the order listed, starting with the water.
- Remember to replenish your Sourdough Starter with 3/4 cup flour and 3/4 cup water. If you make the dough by hand and bake it in your oven, shape as a sourdough loaf and bake it at 400 degree Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes.
- When done, remove and cool.