Recipe by SkinnyMinnie
This is the meringue recipe that came with my stand mixer. It is a Wolfgang Puck recipe, that has worked very well for me. This will make one HUGE "mile high" pie, or two 9" regular pies. It sets up perfectly and never weeps. Oh, it is also great for Baked Alaska!!
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer with the wire whisk attached. Make sure the bowl is dry and clean.
- In a small saucepan with a candy thermometer attached, heat the sugar and water to 210º.
- Turn on the stand mixer to speed 3 (medium low) and start whipping the egg whites.
- When the egg whites are almost at soft peaks, add the pinch of salt.
- Continue to heat the sugar and water to 240º - this is soft ball stage.
- With the mixer STILL ON, carefully pour the hot sugar liquid into the beating egg whites. GO SLOW and be consistent - a slow steady stream.
- After all of the sugar mixture is added, increase the speed of the mixer to about 4 (medium high) and beat until the bowl is cool to the touch. This could take anywhere from 5 to 10 minute.
- Scrape the meringue onto the pie or pies quickly. Once the meringue sets up, it becomes hard to work with. If this happens, just put it back into the mixer and whip until stiff peaks form again.