1/1 Photo of Italian Marinated Eggplant (Aubergine)
These are spicy little marinated eggplant strips that are great slipped into a sandwich, on the side of grilled meats or as an antipasto. Use equal amount vinegar to water. My grandmother used to make jars of this all the time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel eggplant.
- 2Cut the eggplants into thin long strips, like french fries.
- 3Place in a colander, sprinkle with the salt, and set a plate and a weight on top. Set the colander in a large bowl and set aside for at least 2 hours.
- 4Squeeze as much water as you can from eggplant.
- 5Place water and vinegar to boil.
- 6Place eggplant in boiling water for 3 minutes only. Don't over cook or will be mushy.
- 7Drain in colander, set a plate and a weight on top. Set colander in a large bowl and set aside for at least 4 hours I do overnight.
- 8Squeeze any remaining liquid you can out of eggplant. Put eggplant in glass jar with fresh garlic cloves , fresh cut into big chunks hot peppers, fresh mint and good drizzle of olive oil. Shake up and refrigerate. Makes 1 quart. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top European Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Marinated Eggplant (Aubergine)
Serving Size: 1 (126 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 26.8
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 100.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 0.9 g