Hot Chinese Eggplant (Aubergine)
Got this off a recipe card at the grocery store.Yum!
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce (peking sauce)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger
- sesame seeds (to garnish)
- Cut unpeeled eggplant into 3/4" by 3/4" by 2" sticks.
- Place strips in a colander, sprinkle with salt and toss to coat.
- Let drain for 30 minutes.
- Squeeze to remove water.
- Mix first 5 ingredients in a bowl.
- In a skillet or wok heat the oil.
- Add the eggplant, garlic and ginger.
- Stir fry over high heat for 3 minutes.
- Add sauce and stir well.
- Reduce heat to medium low, simmer 15 minutes.
- Gradually turn up heat.
- Cook until sauce is reduced to a thick glaze.
- Garnish with sesame seeds.
- Serve immediately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Very tasty -- loved the flavors. I used regular eggplant as I could not find my favorite Asian eggplants -- they seem to have a milder flavor. Next time, I might add some additional veggies and/or some tofu. I did add the chopped cilantro as mentioned by another reviewer. This made a really nice dinner tonight. Made for Everyday is a Holiday tag, December, 2013.1Reply
Fantastic! Added some ground beef & tofu after cooking the eggplant to boost protein. Served with brown rice & green beans. Delicious! Oh, did add about 1/2 T garlic chile sauce to bump up the heat a bit. Mmmm! Another winner, Sharon123! Thanks (especially since I wasn't up to making moussaka & didn't want to baba it!2Reply
see 14 more