Don't be put off by the number of steps. Its mostly just cutting up vegetables. This is quick and easy to do. I made this tonight after a long hard day. I was tired and it was late and I wanted a quick an easy meal. I had some cut up veggies left over from a vegetable tray I made and everything else just followed along. I added the prosciutto, also left over, because my fiance isn't happy without meat. I smeared my bread with ricotta cheese but left it off his because he doesn't like it. Try different veggies, cheeses and seasonings. Balsamic vinegar may also be a nice addition. It would be easy to make this a vegitarian or even a vegan meal. It was very satisfying and quite tasty. Try to find a good crusty bread for this. Cooking time includes prep time as I did everything at once anyway.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 59.14 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 zucchini
- 1 summer squash
- 340.19 g jar marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large portabella mushroom
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 226.79 g package fresh mozzarella cheese
- 3-6 slice prosciutto or 3-6 slice salami (optional)
- 1 large Italian bread or 1 large bread, of choice
- 1Cut onions into rings.
- 2Cut zucchini and squash in half lenthwise and then into half rings.
- 3Cut bell pepper into strips.
- 4Cut mushroom into strips.
- 5Cut tomatoes in half.
- 6Cut cheese into thin slices.
- 7Heat oil in a pan.
- 8Add onions and saute until they start to soften.
- 9Salting the onions at this point will keep them from getting too brown.
- 10Add garlic and saute for about a minute, do not let garlic brown as it will become bitter.
- 11Add mushrooms and peppers and saute until they start to get tender.
- 12Add zucchini, squash and cherry tomatoes.
- 13Spoon in artichoke hearts.
- 14Do not drain but do not pour entire contents in pan.
- 15Just allow the liquid that gets scooped up with the heart to reach pan and discard the rest.
- 16Saute all until desired consistency and most of the liquid is cooked off.
- 17Cut bread in half lengthwise.
- 18Place slices of prosciutto evenly on bottom half of bread.
- 19Top with the vegetable mixture.
- 20Top the veggies with slices of cheese.
- 21Stick under broiler if desired to melt cheese.
- 22Cut into indivitual servings and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian-ish Veggie Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (1891 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2747.4
- Calories from Fat 1104
- Total Fat 122.6 g
- Saturated Fat 41.6 g
- Cholesterol 179.1 mg
- Sodium 4438.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 311.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 41.6 g
- Sugars 31.1 g
- Protein 112.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: