Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
The flour is the key to this rich, satisfying dish - it transforms the tomato sauce into more of a gravy. And the mushrooms lend lots of flavor with their rich, earthy juices, too. It's perfect served over spaghetti or bucatini (one of my favorites).
Top Review by Three Kids Make Me Crazy
This was great! Used BSCB, added a bag of frozen corn, and used saki instead of red wine (never keep red wine in the house). The kids inhaled it, and asked for the leftovers for breakfast lol. Will definitely make again! Thanks EdsGirlAngie!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour (for coating)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cremini mushrooms, quartered
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper in a plastic bag and shake chicken pieces in flour mixture until coated.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and brown chicken pieces on both sides.
- Remove from skillet and add onion, garlic and bell pepper to the skillet.
- Saute until the onion is golden, even a little browned.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and add the tomatoes, oregano and red wine.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes over medium low heat, or until sauce thickens.
- Add mushrooms, salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 10 more minutes (can simmer longer if you have the time and want a thicker sauce).
- Serve over spaghetti or bucatini.