1/2 Photos of Italian Grandmother Anise Cookies
This is my grandmother's recipe, but since I didn't have a chance to know her I think of them as my mom's cookies. She uses 5 pounds of flour in her batch because she makes them once a year for the family reunion, so I whittled her recipe down into a 4 dozen batch. The amount of anise is up to you. If you think you didn't add enough anise to the cookies, you can add some to the icing. I like to leave some of them unfrosted since they're pretty darn good plain.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 -5 teaspoons anise extract
- 1Combine the flour, sugar and heaping tablespoon of baking powder.
- 2In another bowl whisk together the eggs, vegetable oil and anise extract.
- 3Combine wet and dry ingredients. Dough will be sticky, add up to an extra 1/4 cup of flour if needed.
- 4Shape cookies as desired (lightly oiled hands will help). One way to do it: roll about 2 tablespoons of dough between hands until you have a rope, fold rope in half and twist. You can also just make little dough patties.
- 5Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes (this is good for dark nonstick sheets, you might need to bake a little longer if using airbake sheets).
- 6Remove from cookie sheets and let cool completely.
- 7To make icing, melt butter then add milk. Gradually mix in powdered sugar. Add more sugar or milk until at desired spreading consistency.
- 8Frost cookies. Icing will harden quickly so add non-pareils or other sprinkles immediately after frosting each cookie.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Grandmother Anise Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (63 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 230.9
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 46.9 mg
- Sodium 68.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 22.5 g
- Protein 3.5 g