Recipe by CassiaDawn
From "1001 Old-Time Household Hints", by Yankee Magazine. Intended to go with "Celebration Cake" (see my other recipes). I haven't tried this (not usually a fan of frosting with shortening in it) but thought I'd post it for completeness.
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour into cold milk with a wire whisk. Refrigerate overnight (or at least 6 hours).
- Beat butter, shortening, and sugar on high speed until very light and fluffy (around 8 minutes).
- Let stand for 30 minutes, add vanilla and chilled flour mixture, and beat well.
- Frosting is now ready to be used.
- This frosting will NOT work for a decorator's frosting - it won't set up hard.