Prize Italian Frosting
- Ready In:
- Mix flour and milk to a smooth paste in small sauce pan.
- cook over low heat until very thick, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Put sugar and fats into bowl (2 quart size) and beat at highest speed for 10 minute (This is very important- it must be beaten until so smooth that sugar us hardly noticed).
- When milk and flour paste is cold, beat into sugar mixture until it looks like whipped cream.
- Beat in flavoring.
- Tastes like whipped cream or ice cream.
- Will keep for several weeks in the rer.
- if covered loosely with waxed paper.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Best frosting around :) My Grandmother, Great Aunt and Mother have all made this frosting for their cakes and now I use it. I especially LOVE it on Butter Cake and Orange Cake. Everybody loves it on Chocolate! It's so much better then super sweet buttercream and it doesn't run or make cakes soggy like cool whip/pudding frostings. Only difference in my recipe is it's 4 tbsp flour and 1 tsp vanilla. I've never tried it with the chocolate variation. I'll have to give that A try some time. You have to beat it for the full time or it'll be a little gritty from the sugar! Whip whip whip!