Recipe by Mercy
This rich and tender loaf is formed into a dove and decorated with balls of sweet almond paste for Easter and Christmas. It represents a dove of peace. This recipe is from Fleischmann's yeast company.
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, cut up
- 1⁄4 cup water (70º to 80ºF)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon, rind of
- 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1⁄2 cup almond paste
- 1⁄4 cup bread flour
- 1 large egg, divided use
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 whole clove
Directions See How It's Made
- To make dough: Measure 2 eggs, milk, butter, water, salt, 3 1/4 cups flour, sugar, lemon peel and yeast into bread machine pan in the order suggested by manufacturer.
- Process on dough/manual cycle.
- To make topping: Combine almond paste, 1/4 cup flour and 1 egg yolk (reserve egg white); knead 5 to 6 times or until smooth.
- Form into 1/2-inch balls; set aside.
- To shape: When cycle is complete, remove dough to floured surface.
- If necessary, knead in additional flour to make dough easy to handle.
- Divide dough in half.
- For wings, roll one half of dough to 10 × 5-inch oval.
- Arrange in center of greased large baking sheet, curving ends downward.
- For body, roll remaining half of dough to a triangle, 15 inches high and 6 inches wide (at base); place on center of oval.
- Fold over top third of triangle from left to right; shape to form dove head.
- Fold over bottom third of triangle from right to left to form tail.
- With sharp knife, slash wings and tail at 1-inch intervals to form feathers.
- Lightly beat reserved egg white; brush on dough.
- Arrange almond paste balls, 1/2 inch apart, on body, tail and wings.
- Press one slivered almond into each ball.
- Press clove into head for eye.
- Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Bake at 325ºF for 35 to 40 minutes or until done.
- Remove from pan; cool on wire rack.