This rich and tender loaf is formed into a dove and decorated with balls of sweet almond paste for Easter and Christmas. It represents a dove of peace. This recipe is from Fleischmann's yeast company.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine, cut up
- 1/4 cup water (70º to 80ºF)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/4 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon, rind of
- 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1To make dough: Measure 2 eggs, milk, butter, water, salt, 3 1/4 cups flour, sugar, lemon peel and yeast into bread machine pan in the order suggested by manufacturer.
- 2Process on dough/manual cycle.
- 3To make topping: Combine almond paste, 1/4 cup flour and 1 egg yolk (reserve egg white); knead 5 to 6 times or until smooth.
- 4Form into 1/2-inch balls; set aside.
- 5To shape: When cycle is complete, remove dough to floured surface.
- 6If necessary, knead in additional flour to make dough easy to handle.
- 7Divide dough in half.
- 8For wings, roll one half of dough to 10 × 5-inch oval.
- 9Arrange in center of greased large baking sheet, curving ends downward.
- 10For body, roll remaining half of dough to a triangle, 15 inches high and 6 inches wide (at base); place on center of oval.
- 11Fold over top third of triangle from left to right; shape to form dove head.
- 12Fold over bottom third of triangle from right to left to form tail.
- 13With sharp knife, slash wings and tail at 1-inch intervals to form feathers.
- 14Lightly beat reserved egg white; brush on dough.
- 15Arrange almond paste balls, 1/2 inch apart, on body, tail and wings.
- 16Press one slivered almond into each ball.
- 17Press clove into head for eye.
- 18Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- 19Bake at 325ºF for 35 to 40 minutes or until done.
- 20Remove from pan; cool on wire rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Easter/ Christmas Dove Bread
Serving Size: 1 (90 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.2
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 64.4 mg
- Sodium 245.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 12.0 g
- Protein 7.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: