Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Leah Parenti gve me the idea for this recipe. It calls for boneless, skinless chicken breasts, which you can buy frozen from any food discount store, like Sam's Club or BJ's in a 6 pound pack for around $20.00 for all-natural, no added hormones or antibiotics chicken, cheaper for the "non-natural" ones. However, in the interests of good health and in getting juicy, tender meat, I advise the all-natural. This is simple to prepare, elegant to serve, and delicious! You can vary the ingredients according to what you have on hand.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, thawed if they were frozen
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- garlic paste, in a tube or crushed garlic
- black olive paste, in a tube or sliced black olives
- 6 ounces of shredded Italian cheese blend (mozzarella, provolone, etc.)
- 14 ounces of quartered artichoke hearts
- 12 ounces roasted red peppers
- 4 1⁄2 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 0.5 (1 lb) jar roasted eggplant packed in oil
- Mix the breadcrumbs with olive oil, starting with no more than a tablespoon of oil. Use the back of a spoon and press the breadcrumbs to the side of the bowl until the crumbs become evenly moist, but not greasy. They should look fluffy, with each crumb loose, not sticking together.
- Spread breadcrumb mix on bottom of baking pan (I use a 9x13 or 10x 14 Pyrex).
- Place chicken breasts evenly over crumbs. Put about 1/4 inch of garlic paste, and 1/4 inch of black olive paste on each and spread over breasts evenly. (Vary amount according to your tastes -- up to 1/2 inch).
- Sprinkle about half the cheese over the top.
- Spread artichokes, then roasted peppers, then mushrooms, then eggplant strips evenly over all.
- Sprinkle rest of cheese over the top to cover.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake in 375 oven for 1/2 hour. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes or until breasts are done, but not dry. Test by piercing one breast to make sure no blood oozes out.
- Serve with salad and spaghetti with marinara sauce.