Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a different broccoli casserole that tastes like pizza! It's always the first to go at family gatherings.
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 lb hot ground sausage
- 1 (11 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook the broccoli according to package directions and drain.
- Brown the sausage, drain off fat, then add onions and sautee until clear.
- Add mushrooms and add cooked broccoli.
- Add sour cream, soup, garlic powder, salt& pepper to taste and 1/2 of the cheese to mixture.
- Mix well and pour into a greased 2 qt casserole, then top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
My husband loved this dish. From reading the list of ingredients I was really excited to make it. It was a little too heavy for me. I used it as a main dish and I think it's supposed to be more of a side dish that you bring to pot lucks and such. I can see how it is so popular at family gatherings. It is meant to be eaten in smaller portions I think.
This was rich and delish even if it didn't particularly taste like pizza to me. I used low fat ingredients (soup, sour cream and cheese) and it worked great. I used 12 oz of hot italian sausage and added about 1/4c. sliced green olives to the mix. I do think I will cut the cheese in half the next time. Even with lowfat cheese it was too much. I will make this again as I am alway slooking for tasty lower carb meals. This was filling enough on it's own not to need any more carb embellishment.
I made this to take to a Thanksgiving dinner at a friend's house. I wasn't sure how it would be received, but everyone loved it. This was the only side dish that was completely gone (and I doubled the recipe). I almost switched out the mozzarella for cheddar cheese, but I'm glad I stuck with the mozzarella as called for in the recipe. Thanks!