Poor Man's Pierogies
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Pierogies in a pan! This is a wonderful, rich casserole that tastes just like potato and cheese pierogies (without all the fuss!) Nice, hearty comfort food!! Can be served as a main dish with veggies or a salad, or as a side dish.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 9 -12 lasagna noodles
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter (no substitutes!)
- 4 medium onions, sliced
- 10 -12 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 dash salt and black pepper
- 1 (1 lb) box Velveeta cheese, cubed
- grated parmesan cheese
- Saute onion in 1 stick butter until tender.
- Cook noodles as directed on box.
- Boil potatoes, then mash.
- Add cubed cheese, salt, pepper, and remaining butter to potatoes and mix until well combined.
- Put layer of noodles in 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Layer 1/3 of sauteed onions over noodles, then 1/3 of potato mixture.
- Repeat layers, ending with potatoes on top.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was a perfect substitute for the pieroges my family loves. Since my family is small I halved the recipe and put it in a 8x8 casserole dish. I used the leftover mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving. I melted velvetta and cheddar in the potato mixture. I also put a layer of velvetta slices on top of the first layer. (We love cheese.) Each family member got to top of their helping with what they wanted. One used sour cream and bacon bits, the other loves spaghetti sauce with this. Thanks Manda for posting.Reply
see 13 more