Recipe by Michelle Figueroa
My husband got this recipe from MSN and it is called Michael Symon's Italian Breakfast Sandwich. Michael Symon is an Iron Chef and is the chef and owner of Lola and Lolita in Cleveland.
- 4 ounces sopressata (4-6 thin slices)
- 1 egg
- 2 slices sourdough bread (thick slices)
- 2 ounces prosciutto (2 slices)
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese (2 thin slices)
- 2 slices red onions, paper thin slices, soaked for 2 minutes in
- ice water
- 2 large basil leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet over low heat, fry sopressata until lightly crisp and fat is rendered, about 2 minutes per side. Remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet, fry egg sunny-side up. Remove and set aside.
- On one piece of bread, layer sopressata, prosciutto, mozzarella and drained red onion; close with remaining slice.
- Place in same skillet, pressing down on te sandwich with the palm of your hand, and lightly toast on both sides.
- Remove and open sandwich and layer egg and basil on bottom half.
- Close, slice on the diagonal and serve.