Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A wonderful non-mayo based chicken salad! The sweet basil and balsamic vinegar taste delicious. Another good addition in this recipe is kalamata olives. Taylor it to your own tastes!
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and drained
- 1 cup of washed arugula leaf, coarsely chopped
- 4 slices Italian bread, thick slices, Tuscan rounds
- In a large bowl whisk together mustard and vinegar.
- Whisk in the olive oil.
- Stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in chopped chicken, tomatoes, bacon and arugula and mix to combine.
- Assemble chicken salad on thick slices of Tuscan or Italian bread.
I can't honestly say it was the most amazing salad i've ever had, but it was pretty darn GOOD! I love the richness of the bacon and the zesty zing of the balsamic. I will definately make this salad again!!! I used spring salad mix (which has arugula in it) and I used creole mustard instead of dijon (was out of Dijon and forgot at the store). I also forgot fresh basil at the market, so i used dried. It would probably have been even better with fresh. I know this takes away from calling it "BLT" but I used red bell peppers instead of tomatoes because I don't care for fresh tomatoes. In fact when I make BLTs I make mine as BLP by subing roasted red bell peppers. It added a nice sweetness and they were bright red. Pretty dish!