Recipe by Juenessa
A wonderful non-mayo based chicken salad! The sweet basil and balsamic vinegar taste delicious. Another good addition in this recipe is kalamata olives. Taylor it to your own tastes!
Top Review by graniteangel
I can't honestly say it was the most amazing salad i've ever had, but it was pretty darn GOOD! I love the richness of the bacon and the zesty zing of the balsamic. I will definately make this salad again!!! I used spring salad mix (which has arugula in it) and I used creole mustard instead of dijon (was out of Dijon and forgot at the store). I also forgot fresh basil at the market, so i used dried. It would probably have been even better with fresh. I know this takes away from calling it "BLT" but I used red bell peppers instead of tomatoes because I don't care for fresh tomatoes. In fact when I make BLTs I make mine as BLP by subing roasted red bell peppers. It added a nice sweetness and they were bright red. Pretty dish!
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and drained
- 1 cup of washed arugula leaf, coarsely chopped
- 4 slices Italian bread, thick slices, Tuscan rounds
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl whisk together mustard and vinegar.
- Whisk in the olive oil.
- Stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in chopped chicken, tomatoes, bacon and arugula and mix to combine.
- Assemble chicken salad on thick slices of Tuscan or Italian bread.