Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups long-grain white rice or 2 cups arborio rice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup prepared chunky salsa
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded low-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- light sour cream (optional)
- chopped green onion (optional)
- In large deep skillet over medium heat, heat oil.
- Add rice; stir to coat with oil.
- Stir in 4 cups water and salt; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer about 15 to 18 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir black beans, zucchini, salsa, 1 cup cheese and cilantro into rice mixture.
- Cover; cook about 8 minutes, until zucchini is tender.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand 4 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Serve with sour cream and green onions.
Easy to make. Never made or had Risotto so I'm not sure how it's supposed to be, but I liked it, next time I think I'll let the rice absorb more water, mine was a little runny.
We have really enjoyed this. Twice! The first time I made it according to the recipe. The second time, I took a few liberties. As another review suggested, I sauteed onion and garlic first. I also added some frozen corn, and a few diced fresh mushrooms. I omitted the cheese, and it was fine. And it makes a huge pan!! One recipe is enough for three separate meals for the two of us. And it freezes well! What's not to love?? :)
Made this for a dinner party and it was raved over! I changed a few things though that I would recommend for better flavor: start out by sauteing some garlic and onion in the olive oil, add 1/2 cup of white wine to the rice before adding more liquid, and use veggie or chicken broth intead of water for more flavor. Otherwise, it's fabulous! For a complete meal, serve with cornbread and a Mexican salad. Yum!