Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is adapted from the Barefoot Contessa. Though summer is the best time for sweet and juicy berries, this recipe works throughout the year, making not-so-ripe berries delicioso!!
- Over medium heat, bring 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar to simmer until reduced to thin syrup consistency(about 15 minutes). It should coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove reduction from heat to cool.
- In a large bowl gently mix fruit, careful not to smash raspberries.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the cooled vinegar reduction and sugar to fruit.
- Stir to coat, again careful not to smash berries.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for 30 - 45 minutes.
- May be served plain in small bowl or with a dollop of Cool Whip, or as a topping spooned over plain cake or ice cream.
This was a really good berry salad that I made for my sister's italian themed birthday party. The balsamic vinegar, I found, cooled very fast and really didn't need to be cooled at all. Because if I left it for a while it would harden and then I had to reheat it. I found that I just had to pour it straight over the berries right away. I found that with it cooling in the fridge and the combination of sugar and balsamic vinegar created a lovely juice in addition to the berries. We served this with Cool Whip and sorbet/gelato. Thanks!
This was great! I served it for a dinner party, with ice cream. Everyone loved it.
You have posted a winner again!! Great. I have to use mixed berries which are frozen, thawed and drained. This is very easy to prepare and serve.I will make again with frozen berries and I am sure when fresh berries are available it will be another "taste sensation" Thanks CeCe for Posting.