This recipe is adapted from the Barefoot Contessa. Though summer is the best time for sweet and juicy berries, this recipe works throughout the year, making not-so-ripe berries delicioso!!
- Over medium heat, bring 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar to simmer until reduced to thin syrup consistency(about 15 minutes). It should coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove reduction from heat to cool.
- In a large bowl gently mix fruit, careful not to smash raspberries.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the cooled vinegar reduction and sugar to fruit.
- Stir to coat, again careful not to smash berries.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for 30 - 45 minutes.
- May be served plain in small bowl or with a dollop of Cool Whip, or as a topping spooned over plain cake or ice cream.
This was a really good berry salad that I made for my sister's italian themed birthday party. The balsamic vinegar, I found, cooled very fast and really didn't need to be cooled at all. Because if I left it for a while it would harden and then I had to reheat it. I found that I just had to pour it straight over the berries right away. I found that with it cooling in the fridge and the combination of sugar and balsamic vinegar created a lovely juice in addition to the berries. We served this with Cool Whip and sorbet/gelato. Thanks!
This was great! I served it for a dinner party, with ice cream. Everyone loved it.
You have posted a winner again!! Great. I have to use mixed berries which are frozen, thawed and drained. This is very easy to prepare and serve.I will make again with frozen berries and I am sure when fresh berries are available it will be another "taste sensation" Thanks CeCe for Posting.