Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Simple and delicious soup.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium tomatoes, seeded, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, -do not drain (or white kidney beans)
- 1 (32 ounce) box chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- grated parmesan cheese
- Saute onion in olive oil until just beginning to brown.
- Add tomato and cook until tender.
- Add chicken broth and beans (do not drain).
- Cook for 20 minutes or until to desired temperature. Place in serving bowls and dust with grated cheese.
Awesome soup with a wonderful rustic flavor. I used olive oil non stick spray to brown the onions and did not see the tomatoes. Used a blend of parmesan, fontina, asiago and romano cheese to top the soup with a little more black pepper. I needed just a bit more flavor so I did add a little italian seasoning. The cheese melts nicely, onions are sweet, and the fresh tomatoes are perfect. I have a cold and this is so much better than chicken soup! Thank you sweetomato for posting your soup recipe.
Excellent Soup! I left out the oil, used fat free sodium free chicken broth, doubled quantities of all ingredients, and cooked this in a 5 quart crockpot on High for about 4 hours adding 2 tbsp of Mrs. Dash Italian Blend. During the last hour of cooking, I added 1 pound of browned ground turkey. I garnished my serving with a bit of dried parsley and a few seasoned croutons. For my second helping (yeh, couldn't resist.....), I topped off my bowl with Shredded Parmesan Cheese. SUPER! This soup has a very mild smooth flavor and the tomatoes do not overpower the beans. This is definitely a keeper. Thanks for posting.
Made for Spring PAC 2008. This was really good soup. I had my wisdom teeth out so I have been eating a lot of soup. This was easy to make and very good. I followed the recipe as written other then I used a can of diced tomatoes instead of a tomato.