Recipe by IngridH
This is a variation of a recipe from "Mediterranean Light". I've omitted a few ingredients (tomatoes and lettuce), and added a few of my own. If you don't eat eggs, you can leave them out with no problem. The original recipe called for a 6 1/2 ounce can of water packed tuna, I just prefer to work with fresh. Use whatever is easiest for you.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made this salad as per the recipe, although I did drain & rinse the kidney beans & cut the salt back to 1/4 teaspoon! Worked out well for us & we had a wonderfully flavorful salad! Many thanks for posting the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, sliced very thinly
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 ounces tuna steaks
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, drained (white beans would be fine, too)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 3 eggs, hard boiled and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, toss the sliced onion with 2 tablespoons of the red wine vinegar. Add enough water to the bowl to cover the onion. Let sit for 30 minutes, then drain.
- Season the tuna steak with salt and pepper. Cook to your desired doneness on a grill, broiler, or sauté pan. Let cool enough to handle. Break the tuna into bite sized pieces.
- Add the tuna and remaining ingredients to the drained onion, tossing gently to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
- Taste, and reseason if needed.
- Serve immediately, or chill and serve later.