Recipe by periwinklejenn
A barley salad that can be served cool or warm, however you prefer. Prep time includes time to cook the barley.
Top Review by ctrmom
Really delicious. I had cooked up a whole bag of barley and was looking for a salad to use part of it. I decided on this one and it was great. I made without the tomatoes and prosciutto (since I didn't have any on hand), but added garbanzo beans for protein and some fresh parsley. I decided not to salt it after tasting it. The cheese was salty enough for our taste and I had cooked the barley in lightly salted water.
- 1 cup barley
- 12 ounces prosciutto, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 3⁄4 cup roasted red pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, thinly shaved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook barley or brown rice according to package directions. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine prosciutto strips, tomatoes, peppers, green onions, basil, parmigiano, olive oil. lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add the cooled barley and toss to blend.