Recipe by Chef stevemib
This is a simple dish that will have you making it often. Next to my lasagna it is the most requested by my friends and family. Have lots of garlic bread ready. Enjoy!
Top Review by Doug S.
Horrible! I'm sorry to the person who posted this recipe but if this is authentic, then I don't like authentic Italian cooking. It was extremely greasy, can't tell there is tomato sauce in it because of all the olive oil and sausage, and it is entirely too salty (from the sausage mixture). I do not recommend this recipe to anyone and I love Italian sausage!
- 2 lbs Italian sausage
- 1 lb ziti pasta (penne or rigatoni)
- 500 g tomato sauce
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 red chili peppers
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Add tomato sauce,rosemary,oregano,chili peppers,sugar and basil to a pot.
- Bring to boil and simmer one hour. Remove chili peppers.
- Cook pasta to al dente (little chewy). You don't want to overcook it as it cooks in the baking also.
- Remove sausage from casing and cook in 1/2 cup olive oil over medium high till browned.
- Add cooked sausage and all the oil (don't drain)to the tomato sauce and mix.
- Add cooked pasta into a 9x13 baking pan.
- Add the sausage and sauce over top and toss.
- Add parmesan on top and then cover with shredded mozzarella.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes at 350°F (put toothpicks so cheese doesn't stick).
- Remover foil and continue to bake 10 minutes (watch cheese so it doesn't burn).
- Remove from oven and let set 10 minutes before serving to allow it to set.