Courtesy of Giada DeLaurentiis! I made this today after sitting on the recipe for quite some time. I am sorry I held on to it. It will be in my regular rotation from now on, it was easy, quick and very tasty. I will change a few things though...I will use tomatoes with Italian seasoning and maybe a little more cheese next time! I even think it would be good if you added some ricotta to the mix. There are a lot of possibilities, but it was good as it is written. I doubled the recipe and it was fine. Enjoy!
- 1 cup Italian pastina (or any small pasta, I used small shells)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup cubed chicken breast
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice (I recommend using the ones with Italian seasoning)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus more
- butter, for baking dish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring medium pot of salted water to boil.
- Add pasta and cook until just tender about 5 minutes. Drain into large bowl.
- Meanwhile heat olive oil in medium sautee pan over med heat.
- Add chicken and cook about 3 minutes.
- Add onions and garlic combine and cook about 5 minutes more or until chicken is done and onions soft.
- Add chicken to pasta in bowl, stir in canned tomatoes, mozzarella, parsley, salt, and pepper. Stir until combined.
- Place in buttered 8x8x2 dish.
- In small bowl combine bread crumbs and Parmesan.
- Spread over pasta mixture.
- Dot the top with butter.
- Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.