Prep 4 hrs
Cook 55 mins
This is the winning recipe in the Emile Henry National Pie Day Recipe Contest, submitted by N. LaRochelle. Prep time includes 3 hours chilling time for pie crust dough.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 1⁄2 cup butter flavor shortening
- 1⁄3 cup ice water
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 6 cups apples (combination sweet and tart)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup marzipan, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry cutter, cut in the butter and shortening. Drizzle the water and vinegar into the flour mixture and combine with hands until a dough is formed. Divide dough in half and shape into a flat disc. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. When ready to bake, roll out one dough and line 9" pie plate. For this particular pie, Line with foil and add pie weights. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven; remove foil and weights. Reduce oven temperature to 375 and bake for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- APPLE-MASCARPONE FILLING:.
- Peel, core, and slice apples. Place apples in large bowl and drizzle lemon juice over apples. In a large saucepan, over medium heat, stir the apples, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and cinnamon. Cook until apples are just slightly soft and juices have thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract and almond extract. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk the egg, cream, and mascarpone. Mix until smooth and well combined. Set aside.
- ALMOND TOPPING:.
- In a medium bowl, combine the marzipan, flour, and butter. Add almonds; combine until topping is crumbly. Set aside.
- TO BAKE PIE:.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spoon apples into partially baked pie crust- lined pie plate. Pour mascarpone cream filling over apples. Tent loosely and bake for 25-30 minutes until filling is almost set. Remove from oven and sprinkle marzipan topping. Return to oven and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes, until topping is lightly browned. Let sit for 3-4 hours before slicing.