Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Specialty of the Restaurant Taveres, Lisbon, Portugal and taken from a magazine article in my grandmothers recipe box. Recipe requires 24 hour marinade, not counted as part of the time. An optional item is 1/4 lb spleen pureed and added with the liver to the wine marinade.
- 1 lb calf liver
- 1⁄2 pint white wine
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- Cut the liver in very fine slices.
- Put the liver into the white wine with the 2 cloves garlic, bay leaf, salt and pepper and vinegar and marinate for 24 hours.
- Melt the butter and add the 1 clove garlic and a little of the marinade. Let this boil for a few minutes and then keep adding more marinade, little by little, while the sauce boils.
- In the end, add the liver and any remaining sauce and continue cooking until liver is done to your taste (5-7 minutes).