Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Baking potatoes stuffed with onion, green pepper, and canned corned beef and topped with poached egg.
- 4 medium baking potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup finely minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely minced green pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup chopped canned corned beef
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 4 eggs
- minced parsley
- Scrub potatoes well; prick with fork in several places. Bake at 375°F for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until easily pierced with fork.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 Tablespoons butter in small saucepan. Saute onion and green pepper until tender.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, remove thin slice from top of each potato. Scoop out inside of potato, leaving 1/4 inch thick shell. Place potato pulp in mixing bowl with remaining 2 Tablespoons butter. Beat, adding enough milk to make stiff mashed potato mixture. Add Worcestershire sauce, corned beef, onion, green pepper, and butter in which they were cooked; mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Fill potato shells with mixture, make a well in top of each potato. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine water and 1 teaspoon salt in medium saucepan; bring to boil. Add vinegar to boiling water. Break eggs, 1 at a time, into sauce dish; slide into boiling water. Poach eggs to desired degree of doneness.
- Place 1 poached egg in well on top of each potato. Garnish with parsley. Serve. Makes 4 servings.
- NOTE: The stuffed potatoes can be prepared a day in advance and refrigerated until baking time. Allow a few extra minutes to heat.
- Irish Cooking.
I'd like to try this as a change of pace item for breakfast, but have a question. Canned corn beef has cooking directions. Do you pre-cook before adding to potato mixture or add direct from the can?