Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 mins
Home made hot chocolate is comfort food at its best, especially in the winter time. Although, I have been known to serve this up around a campfire on the 4th of July and it tasted just fine. This is an old Gourmet recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 2 1⁄4 cups milk, scalded
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half cream, scalded
- 1⁄2 cup baileys original irish cream, to taste
- whipped cream
- shaved bittersweet chocolate (to garnish)
- In a large heavy saucepan combine the cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla, water and a dash of salt.
- Heat mixture over low heat, whisking, until the cocoa powder is dissolved and the mixture is a smooth paste.
- Gradually add the milk and half&half and simmer whisking for 2 minutes.
- Stir in Baileys.
- Divide hot chocolate into warmed mugs and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
This is an Ohmigod! 10 stars, at least. The cocoa itself if rich and delicious, and I have had several cups of it in the last couple of days. But the addition of the Bailey's puts it over the top. I haven't even gotten to the Baileys AND whipped cream AND shaved chocolate. This is just wonderful.