Chocolate slice and bake wafers filled with luscious homemade buttercream makes a delicious combination. Perfect for St. Patricks day treats. Found this recipe at Land O Lakes website. Prep time doesn't include chilling time.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 -3 teaspoons irish cream (can sub 2-3 teaspoons strong brewed coffee)
- powdered sugar, if desired
- Combine 3/4 cup butter and sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add egg and vanilla; continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; add flour, cocoa and salt. Beat until well mixed.
- Divide dough in half; shape each half on lightly floured surface into 8-inch long square log with 1 1/2-inch sides. Wrap in plastic food wrap; refrigerate until firm (2 hours or overnight).
- Heat oven to 325°F Cut logs into 1/4-inch square slices with sharp knife. Place squares 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until set.
- Combine powdered sugar and 1/4 cup butter in small bowl. Beat at low speed, adding enough liqueur for desired spreading consistency. Spread about 1 teaspoon filling on cookie, top with second cookie. Press together gently. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
- Make Ahead: Prepare cookies as directed; cool completely. Freeze in airtight container up to 1 month. When ready to use, thaw cookies completely. Prepare filling and assemble cookie sandwiches as directed.
- Recipe Tip
- Make sure not to slice the cookie dough too thick or the cookies will not be crisp.