Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is often call Tea Brack because of the soaking of the raisins and currents in tea. The original Brack had only Barm ( a mixture of hops, malt), milk and flour and was made for New Years festivities where pieces of baked loaf would be thrown at the back of the house door to ward off poverty in the coming year. It is between a loaf and a bread in texture. The preparation time does not include the soaking overnight of the raisins & currents
- 3⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 3⁄4 cup currants
- 1⁄3 cup crystallized cherries (undyed preferred)
- 1⁄3 cup candied peel
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 1 cup cold strong tea
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice (Cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove)
- Soak the raisins and currents in the cold tea overnight.
- Heat oven to 350F and line a 1 lb loaf pan with greased parchment paper.
- Add all the remaining ingredient to the raisins, currents and cold tea.
- Stir well and pour into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for apprx 1 1/2 hours or until cooked through.
- Keeps well in a covered tin.
- Serve buttered.
I love tea breads, as they are not too sweet........I have a savoury tooth and not a sweet tooth! I soaked my fruit overnight and made this loaf this morning - then had a slice with my 11 o clock cuppa, and it was just right - moist and full of fruit. My tea was Yorkshire tea from England, which is very strong - so the tea flavour was evident in the brack - lovely. I used my own mixed spice mix and added a litle ginger. Made for the virtual tour of GB, and very much enjoyed thanks Bergy. FT:-)
Good fruit loaf. Instead of crystallized cherries I used candied ginger and my mixed spice consisted of 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon cloves and 1/4 teaspoon (freshly grated) nutmeg. The dough is a bit stiff but pliable. I baked it in a glass loaf tin and by experience I know that things bake faster in this. Checked after one hour, almost done, let it bake another 10 minutes and then it was OK. The loaf freezes well. Thanks for posting. Made for Comfort Cafe, January 2010.