Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This is from my Mom's recipe cards. I have not tried this recipe.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 3 cups evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix sugar, syrup and 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk.
- Cook over medium heat stirring until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Continue cooking until mixture forms firm ball in cold water.
- BE SURE TO STIR FREQUENTLY!
- Cook approximately 40 minutes.
- Add VERY SLOWLY 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk, butter and salt.
- Continue cooking as above until firm ball.
- Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla.
- Pour into buttered pan to cool.
I cut this recipe in half, just because I didn't want 2 pounds of it around! Still it made a lot of VERY FLAVORFUL CARAMELS that will be enjoyed for a while around here! Am looking forward to making the whole thing during special holidays of events, since it makes a nice change from the usual fudge, etc! Many thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in the current Pick A Chef]