A great side dish to an Indonesian meal, or a extended "rijsttafel" which consists of many dishes. Even if you do not coat the banana's with coconut it is still very nice. You can also use half butter, half oil for frying
- 3 large bananas
- 3 ounces desiccated coconut
- peanut oil, for shallow frying
- Put the desiccated coconut in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Peel the bananas, slice thickly on an angle, then place in the bowl with the coconut and toss to coat well on all sides.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the coated banana and stir fry over low/medium heat until the coconut is lightly browned and the banana slices are heated through.
- Serve hot as an accompaniment.
- Note: you can also quarter the banana's instead of slicing them.
Tasty!! I am glad I made these with bananas that were still a tiny bit green; I do not like mushy textures and I think with ripe bananas they would have been too soft. Made as is and the whole family enjoyed them. We served these with a breakfast casserole for our weekly 'breakfast for dinner'. Made for Cook-a-thon for Pets'R'Us 5/2010.
Wonderful! Sweet little bites that are crispy on the outside with a creamy rich inside. Was pleasantly surprised out how cooking intensified the flavor of the banana. Made as written but think next time will try the half butter option as after trying can see how much the butter would bring to the banana. Thanks so much for the post.