Recipe by Charmie777
Don't let the long list of ingredients intimidate you. This comes from Desperation Dinners--so it's easy!
Top Review by Enjolinfam
My family LOVED this! This is a great mild Indonesian curry. I made regular brown rice instead of quick-cooking, but otherwise followed the recipe exact. Thanks Charmie! :D LOONEY SPOON PHOODIES ZWT6!!!
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut in strips
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon imported curry powder
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to boil in 2 quart saucepan. When water boils, add rice, cover pan, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a 4-1/2 quart dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add broccoli and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally.
- Add the pepper, cabbage, carrots and onions.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and stir occasionally.
- Stir in the curry powder, garlic, cumin and ginger. Stir in tomatoes and their juices.
- Raise the heat to high, cover and bring to a boil.
- Uncover and boil, stirring from time to time, for 3 minutes more to blend the flavors.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in the peanut butter, blend well.
- Serve over the brown rice.