Applesauce Streusel Cake
photo by gailanng
- Ready In:
- 1 2⁄3 cups cake flour (or 1 1/2 cups all purpose)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup cake flour (or all purpose flour)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash fresh nutmeg (1/8 tsp)
- 4 tablespoons cold butter
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 inch round springform pan or an 8 inch square metal pan with flour-added cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, thoroughly stir together flour, soda, cinnamon, allspice and brown sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix melted butter, applesauce, sour cream, vanilla and egg.
- Add the dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients and stir until mixed. Pour into pan.
- Make streusel. In a mixing bowl or food processor, mix together all dry ingredients then cut in butter.
- Sprinkle over top of cake.
- Sprinkle nuts over top of streusel.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown around edges.
- Cool slightly. Remove sides of pan and cut into triangles.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I'm a long time Zaar follower/lurker and have made many recipes over the years. Finally today I subscribed. Today I made this streusel cake with great results. It has a crispy top with tender crumb and was an instant hit with my family. My husband had three servings before the cake even cooled...that speaks volumes from a man that does NOT have a sweet tooth.