Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
A flavorful soup with curry powder and coconut milk, this recipe comes from The New England Soup Factory Cookbook (wish I could take credit for it, but I can't!). Although the original recipe calls for vegetable stock (this is a vegetarian soup), I generally use chicken stock because I think it gives it a richer flavor. Adjust spiciness and sweetness by varying amount of hot pepper flakes and honey accordingly. Make sure you use a good quality canned coconut milk -- in my experience, powdered coconut milk isn't a good substitute. I love this as a soup, but it's also great as a sauce/gravy over white rice on its own. Yummy -- and I generally am not fond of really spicy foods. But this yummy and packs just enough of a kick!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, whole, peeled
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 large Spanish onion, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 1⁄2 cup honey (plus more to taste)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Heat stockpot, add olive oil, garlic, ginger, onion, celery, and carrots.
- Saute for 10 minutes.
- Add curry, coriander, cumin, red pepper flakes, sherry and stock.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 35 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add honey, coconut milk, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Puree the soup in the pot using a hand blender (or in small batches in a real blender).
- Add more honey if you like it sweeter.
Warm and creamy. Used chicken stock for a quick dinner soup while it was snowing outside. Made for the Indonesian Tag Game Oct/Nov 10.