Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I've made this for our church brunches and everyone always wants to get the recipe. I got this recipe from my sister-in-law. It was her mother's recipe. I've never found another meatloaf recipe quite like it. It has a wonderful sweet topping instead of the standard ketchup topping. My 2 year old will eat this. I love anything saucy so I always double the topping. I also only use vidalia onion so it is not such a strong onion flavor for my little one. The Lemon Slices if cut extremely thin can be eaten with the meatloaf and not be too bitter. It looks pretty when presented with the lemon slices on top and can be removed prior to eating. If you like meatloaf and always wished you could have more of the top with the ketchup baked on then you'll really love this as you get lot's of topping on each meatloaf.
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 4 slices fine soft bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup vidalia onion (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon rosemary (optional)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 lemon (seeded and sliced very thin rounds)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- Mix first 11 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix well and shape into individual sized meatloaves. Place in lightly greased large casserole dish.
- For Topping- In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar, ketchup, dry mustard, ground cloves and allspice. Spoon topping mixture onto each meatloaf.
- Slice the lemon very thinly into circles and place one slice on top of each meatloaf. make sure you remove seeds!
- Bake at 325°F for 1 hour.
Yummy! Lots of wonderful sweet topping. Was surprised how much lemon flavor the meat got from adding lemon juice to the mix. Was a great combination with the thyme and rosemary. Lemon slices on top are lovely. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for PAC Fall 2008.