Recipe by Mrs Goodall
This recipe comes from Rachel Rays 30-Minute Meals 2. It's easy and delicious not to mention elegant and worthy of a dinner party!! I don't always use filet, just whatever steak I have in the freezer that is 1 inch thick. Enjoy!
Top Review by Allybee Z
this was really good, sherry and mushrooms are a classic combo! i love my steak medium rare so I used a whole tenderloin to make one big wellington to ensure that the meat didnt overcook while the puff pastry browned. Also marinated the meat in olive oil, garlic, worcestershire sauce, and red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb button mushroom, with stems cleaned and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped (1 teaspoon dried)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 4 filet mignon steaks, tournedos 1 inch thick
- 8 ounces mousse pate (store boughtt)
- 1 sheet puff pastry, frozen store bought (11 X 17 inches)
- 1 egg, beaten with a splash of water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add oil and butter, shallots, chopped mushrooms, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper and saute, 5 minutes.
- Add sherry and let the liquid evaporate. Remove mushrooms from heat.
- In a nonstick skillet over high heat, sear meat 2 minutes on each side in a drizzle of oil. Remove skillet from the heat and season meat with salt and pepper.
- Cut pate into 4 pieces, 2 ounces each.
- Spread the puff pastry sheet out onto a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Quarter the dough with a sharp knife.
- On each rectangle of dough, place 1/4 of the cooked mushrooms. Top mushrooms with 2 ounces pate and 1 tournedo of beef.
- Wrap dough up and over the meat, trim excess dough, and seal the dough with egg wash, using a pastry brush.
- Leftover dough bits can be used to decorate the tops of your Wellingtons.
- Turn the wrapped Wellingtons over and cover with egg wash.
- Bake 10 minutes or until golden.
- Let stand 5 minutes and serve!