Modified from HuffPost Taste -- Serve with flat bread like Naan or Pita, or with white rice and steamed vegetables.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 1⁄2 inches piece ginger (about the thickness of a thumb, peeled and minced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 shallots (slivered)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large raw shrimp (shelled and cleaned)
- lemons or lime wedge
- cilantro leaf
- flat bread (optional)
- cooked rice (optional)
- Marinate shrimp in 1 1/2 T olive oil, curry powder, cumin, minced ginger, minced garlic, cayenne, and salt for 1/2 hour.
- Saute shallots in oil, in a heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, water, and brown sugar. Bring to a simmer.
- Add shrimp mixture and cook until shrimp are just cooked through, 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cilantro, and serve with lemon or lime wedges and flat bread, or over rice.
This Indian-spiced shrimp is wonderful and so easy to put together. Wish I had made a double-batch. : ) I am so thankful that I have access to plenty of fresh wild-caught shrimp where I live as I will be making this dish often. Served this dish with http://www.food.com/recipe/dal-nirvana-naan-493936 and a green salad. Made for the Best of 2014 tag game.
I served this with Naan bread, and it was delicious! I don't think my sauce thickened up as much as Teresa's, but it was perfect for dunking the bread in. Loved it! Will make it often!! Thanks for sharing. Made for For Your Consideration Tag Game on Yuku!
What superior flavors...my mouth was doing the happy dance..I cut the recipe in half and ate the whole thing...hubby was out with the guys..I can see serving this dish to company...there was plenty of liquid to serve it over rice...made for FTC tag game...=)