Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is very similar to one served in a local (Chicago suburbs) Indian restaurant. It was published in the Chicago Tribune on 5/2/99.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups light cream
- 1⁄4 cup basmati rice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 teaspoons golden raisins
- 2 teaspoons sliced almonds
- Bring milk& cream to boil over low heat.
- Add rice; simmer 1 hour- or until rice is cooked& milk has reduced& thickened.
- Stir in sugar, cardamom& coconut.
- (Will keep 5 days in refrigerator).
- Serve warm or cold, garnished w/raisins& almonds.
This didn't work for me. 1/4 cups of basmati rice is not enough for 5 cups of liquid. I could drink it through a straw. Nice flavor though.
I`m typing here and eating this delish Rice pudding. It`s just so rich and creamy. Total comfort food! Eating it hot. Made it in my slow cooker. Doubled the raisins, and cardamom, skipped the coconut, put in 1 vanilla bean and some cinnamon. Added all at one time and cooked in the slow cooker for 3 hours.SOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOD!