Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk, cold
- 1⁄2 cup acorn meal
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- Pour the four cups of milk in the top of a double boiler and heat until very hot. Slowly stir Acorn meal into hot milk. Cook over boiling water for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 300°F Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish. (8-1/2" round).
- In small bowl, combine all the other ingredients except the cold milk. Stir into acorn meal mixture and mix well.
- Turn the acorn meal mixture into the baking dish, then gently pour the cold milk on top, without stirring.
- Bake uncovered for 2 hours or until just set but quivery on top. Do not over bake.
- Let stand at least 30 minutes before serving. Serve warm, topped with vanilla ice cream or light cream.