Recipe by Olha
The Icelandics have a practical and down to earth approach to all of their cooking and baking, but they are exceptionally skilled at making wonderful things to go with coffee!
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast (2 pkg.)
- 1⁄2 cup warm water, 105 F. to 115 F
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almond paste
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- decorator sugar (pearl sugar) or crushed sugar cube
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE DOUGH: In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water and let stand 5 minutes. Add the egg, butter, sugar, salt, and sour cream. Beat in 2 cups of the flour to make a stiff dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Turn out onto lightly floured board and roll out to make a square about 20 to 24 inches across.
- TO MAKE THE FILLING: Blend the almond paste, egg, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Spread this mixture over the rolled dough to within 1/2 inch of the edge of the dough. Sprinkle with the raisins and orange peel. Roll dough up, jelly roll fashion, enclosing the filling.
- Cover baking sheet or a 16 inch pizza pan with parchment paper or lightly grease it. Place roll on the pan in the shape of a wreath and seal ends together. With a pair of scissors, clip the wreath and lift the cut dough back over the wreath decoratively. Let rise 1 hour or until puffy. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- To make the glaze, mix the beaten egg well with the 2 tablespoons milk. Brush wreath with the mixture and sprinkle with the pearl sugar. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden.
- The Great Scandinavian Baking Book B. Ojakangas.