Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
I cut this off a package of something many years ago. When making it recently for a potluck contribution to lunch meeting, I reduced the fat considerably. Here's the lighter version.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups nonfat plain yogurt
- salt & pepper
- 1 lemon, sliced thinly for garnish (optional)
- Saute onion in oil until tender; stir in mustard and nutmeg. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil; add carrots and cook over medium heat until tender. Spinach goes in last -- cook only till it's well thawed.
- Allow mixture to cool to lukewarm, then puree in blender or food processor. Add milk, cover, and refrigerate until well chilled (up to overnight). Add salt & freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Serve (preferably in chilled bowls) with a large dollop of yogurt and a sprinkling of freshly grated nutmeg. Garnish each serving with a thin slice of lemon if desired.