Recipe by KaraRN
This recipe came from Taste of Home's complete guide to baking. This recipe calls for buttermilk- something I had never had in banana bread....I think it is probably what makes this bread so yummy! This freezes well. It looks complicated, but really isn't. I just use my kitchenaid and don't even mash the bananas.
- 1⁄2 cup butter flavor shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup ripe banana (2-3 med, mashed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup pecans (chopped) (optional)
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl cream shortening, and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs.
- Blend in bananas and vanilla.
- Add flour alternately with buttermilk -beating well after each addition.
- Fold in pecans if using.
- Pour into two greased loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire rack to cool completely.
- For topping: Combine banana, powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl. Spread over loaves and sprinkle with pecans.
- *Note* To sub All purpose flour for self rising flour place 1 1/2 t baking powder and 1/2 t salt in a measuring cup. Add all purpose flour to make 1 Cup.