Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
From cake mix
- 1 (18 ounce) packagebetty crocker supermoist devil's food cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 gallon brick vanilla ice cream
- Heat oven to 375°. Beat about half of the cake mix, the shortening, butter, vanilla and egg in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Stir in remaining cake mix until dough
- Divide dough in half. Place each half on ungreased cookie sheet. Lightly sprinkle dough with flour.
- Roll each half into rectangle, 10 x 12 inches. Prick dough with fork at 1-inch intervals over rectangles.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are set (rectangles will be slightly puffed). Cool 5 minutes; loosen from cookie sheet with metal spatula and place on cutting board. Cut into rectangles, 3 x 2 1/2 inches. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Remove ice cream from carton and place on cutting board. Cut ice cream lengthwise into 8 slices, each 1/2 inch thick. Cut each slice in half to form about a 3 1/2 x 2 3/4-inch rectangle.
- Place each ice-cream rectangle between 2 cooled cookies. Wrap in aluminum foil or plastic wrap; freeze at least 24 hours but no longer than 1 month.
This was fun to make, though time consuming. I baked the wafers for 10 minutes, and they were a bit crisp. Next time, I'll only bake them 8 minutes and use a round, scalloped cookie cutter for a more decorative look. Thanks for the posting!