1/3 Photos of I Swear I Made Them Myself Homemade Everything Bagels
3 hrs 10 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Inspired by Emeril's Homemade Bagel recipe with some tweaks. My recipe makes six bagels, but doubling or tripling it will work just as well! Most of prep time includes time for the dough to rise.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 ounce active dry yeast (1/4 oz package envelope)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 1 egg yolk, Beaten
- toasted chopped onion
- poppy seed
- sesame seeds
- kosher salt
- 1Combine the warm water, yeast, and the 1.5 Tablespoons of granulated sugar in a mixer with a dough hook. Let stand 5 minutes until the yeast activates and the mixture becomes foamy.
- 2Gradually add 2 cups of the flour and the salt and mix with dough hook until combined.
- 3Slowly add the additional 1/2 cup flour while working with your hands. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and continue to knead until smooth and no longer sticky (add up to 1/2 cup more flour if necessary).
- 4Grease a large bowl with 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil and roll the dough ball to cover all sides. Cover and let rise in a warm spot for about an hour (or until almost double in size).
- 5After an hour, punch the dough down and divide into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 6" log and combine the ends with a little moisture (make sure they are joined or you will end up with cresents).
- 6Place the bagels on a greased cookie sheet, cover, and let rise again for 20 to 30 minutes (no longer).
- 7Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- 8Bring a large pot of water, flavored with the 1.5 teaspoon of sugar, to a boil. Drop the bagels into the water and boil for 30 seconds to 1 minute, turning.
- 9Upon removal from the boiling water, place the bagels onto an oiled baking sheet covered in cornmeal. Place into a preheated 400 degree fahrenheit oven.
- 10Bake for 5 minutes. Remove and brush with an egg yolk. Top with desired toppings and put back into the oven for 28 to 32 minutes. After 20 minutes, turn oven down to 375 degrees fahrenheit. Remove when golden brown and hollow sounding.
- 11Cool on a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for I Swear I Made Them Myself Homemade Everything Bagels
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.1
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 27.6 mg
- Sodium 392.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 6.3 g