Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is just a basic recipe. Fruits and flavors of yogurt will vary according to my whim or what I have on hand.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 cup nonfat yogurt (artificially sweetened)
- 2 (1 g) packets artificial sweetener (or 2 tablespoons sugar or Splenda Granular, to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut flavoring
- 1 dash ground allspice
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mango
- 1⁄2 cup sliced banana
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water and let stand for 1 minute to soften. Then heat in microwave for high for 30 seconds. Stir until gelatin is dissolved. Cool completely.
- Place cottage cheese and yogurt in blender; process until smooth. Add Splenda and coconut flavoring.
- With blender on low, gradually add cooled gelatin, blending well.
- Place fruit in 4 small serving dishes or containers; pour gelatin mixture over the fruit. Sprinkle with allspice.
- Cover and chill until set.
My Mom is diabetic and has always had a sweet tooth. I made this for her around the holidays to see what she thought. It was a great hit!! I have made it with almost every kind of yogurt and fruit I can find and they all have been good, but the berry flavors seem to really pop.
I used vanilla yogurt with the cottage cheese and these two blended up to a very thick, smooth consistency and, to be honest, I wasn't sure why the gelatin was needed to set the topping but it was ready and waiting so I used it. I ended up adding the flavoring and putting 8 big strawberries into the blender to make a mousse like dessert. Since I added the berries to the topping I didn't add the sweetener. I loved the end result, the cottage cheese gives it a rich feeling akin to cream cheese and it allows you to feel like your indulging while your actually being very good. This is so quick! Susie is dead on for time to make, it was in the fridge 5 mins after starting. YUMMM. Made for Photo Tag.