Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- Stir together to mix thoroughly flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and garlic powder.
- Add egg, buttermilk and onion; mix well.
- Drop batter by rounded teaspoonfuls into deep hot fat (375 degrees).
- Cook, turning frequently, about 3 - 5 minutes, until golden brown.
These are not bad puppies, but I found the batter to be too dry even after mixing more than I dared to mix. The buttermilk should be increased to at least three fourths cup and maybe add another egg. Of the puppies that did come out, the flavor was good and the texture was lighter than I am used to in a puppy.